SBA 504 Refinance with Expansion
504 Projects may include a limited amount of debt refinancing with expansion. This program is ideal for companies putting on an addition or buying a new piece of machinery or equipment. We often find that there is an opportunity to use existing building equity as a down payment as well.
Any amount of existing indebtedness that does not exceed 50% of the cost of the expansion may be refinanced. The debt being refinanced will be added to the expansion cost to establish the total project costs, if all the conditions discussed below are met. “Expansion” includes any Project that involves the acquisition, construction or improvement of land, building or equipment for use by the borrower.
For more detailed information or to get a cost estimate, please call our office: (616) 459-4825.
- Expansion of $1 million (eligible to refinance up to $500,000 or ½ of expansion)
- Underlying debt of $400,000 on existing building
- Financing need is $1.4 million
- Existing business and multi-purpose property: eligible for 50/40/10
- Project structure is determined by “as is” and “as complete” values.
- $1,000,000 Expansion Costs
$ 400,000 Existing Debt
$ 155,556 Land Equity$1,555,556 Total Project
- $ 777,778 Third Party Lender (50%)
$ 622,222 SBA 504 (40%)
$ 155,556 Equity (10%)$1,555,556 Total Project*Assumptions – “As Is” Appraised value = $600,000 and the “As Complete” value = $1,555,556*Appraisal must be submitted with refinance application to establish equity
SBA 504 Refinance Program Without Expansion
Refinancing commercial real estate debt and equipment is now a permanent feature of the SBA 504 Loan Program and can help small businesses take advantage of below market, fixed interest rates. This program is available for up to 90 percent of the appraised value of the property and multiple properties can be refinanced. Cash can be taken out to meet eligible business operating expenses up to 85 percent of the property’s appraised value.
Below are some of the program highlights followed by some examples.
- The loan to be refinanced must be at least 24 months old and in good standing for the last 12 months;
- Business must be operating for 2 or more years prior to the date of application;
- Appraisal is not required to submit refinance application, but will be a condition of funding;
- Business must be at 51% occupancy at the time of application submission.
- The Refinancing Project must include “Qualified Debt” (defined below). In addition, the Refinancing Project may include Eligible Business Expenses (defined below) as well. In addition, the amount of the Refinancing Project is subject to the Loan-to-Value Limitations described below.
- Qualifed Debt – means a commercial loan where substantially all (85% or more) of the proceeds were used to acquire an Eligible Fixed Asset.
- “Eligible Business Expenses” are limited to the operating expenses of the business that were incurred but not paid prior to the date of application or that will become due for payment within 18 months after the date of application. These expenses may include salaries, rent, utilities, inventory, and other operating expenses of the business. Debt is not included as an Eligible Business Expense, except credit card debt may be included if the credit card is issued in the name of the small business and the Applicant certifies that the credit card debt being refinanced was incurred exclusively for business related purposes.
Loan to Value:
- For projects that refinance only Qualified Debt, the maximum loan to value of the Refinancing Project allowed is 90%.
- For projects when the amount of Qualified Debt being refinanced is more than 90 percent of the value of the Eligible Fixed Asset(s) securing the Qualified Debt, the Borrower must provide additional cash or other fixed asset collateral acceptable to SBA so as not to exceed a 90% loan to value of the Refinancing Project.
- For any projects that include the financing of Eligible Business Expenses, a maximum 85% loan to value of the Refinancing Project will apply, and the Eligible Business Expenses portion of the Project may not exceed 20% of the value of the Eligible Fixed Asset(s) securing the Qualified Debt. (Additional fixed assets may not be added if any Eligible Business Expenses are being financed.)
- Up to 90% financing;
- Longer Loan Term— Up to 20 years;
- Fixed Interest Rate for entire term of loan
- Minimize risk—banks can limit their exposure to 50% of total 504 loan;
- Free up client’s capital;
- Combined LTV (1st and 2nd mortgage) up to 90%.
- Refinance $800,000 existing commercial mortgage originally used to purchase owner occupied real estate (borrowered 5 years ago).
- Property appraised at $1,000,000
$1,000,000 Appraised Value of Property
$ 800,000 Qualified Debt (ie – commercial building)
$ 200,000 Land Equity
- $ 800,000 Total Project Financing
- $ 400,000 Third Party Lender (40%)
$ 400,000 SBA 504 (40%)
$ 200,000 Borrower Equity Contribution (20%)
- $1,000,000 Total Project